The Saint-Martin canal is a canal 4,55 km long. It connects the pond of the Villette and beyond the canal of Ourcq. It is a canal of small template intended, originally, for the drinkable water conveyance in the capital. Inaugurated in 1825, it contains nine locks and two bascule bridges for a total lowering of 25 m.
max. 54 m
min. 36 m
Styles : BaladeDiscoveryIn townUnusual
Public : FamilyOccasional hikersSeniorsAdolescentsCyclists
Themes : CulturalPatrimonyReportage
It was formerly the port of goods that became since 1983 a marina. Between xvie and xixe centuries, in the location of the pond, raises itself an arsenal which gave him his name. With the increase of the traffic of barges on the Saint-Martin canal during the xixe century and a big part of the xxe century, the pond of the Arsenal became an important commercial harbor of Paris. Of a length of 600 m, the pond facilitates the load and the unloading of the goods, essentially the wine, the wheat and the wood.
The canal contains several ponds: pond of the Deaths; pond of the Fight; pond Louis-white; pond of Récollets; pond of Swamps ("bassin des Morts ; bassin du Combat ; bassin Louis-Blanc ; bassin des Récollets ; bassin des Marais"); they are separated by five locks among which four are double: lock of La Villette (no 1 and 2); lock of the Deaths (no 3 and 4); lock of the Récollets (no 5 and 6); lock of the Temple (no 7 and 8); lock of the Arsenal (no 9).