Already registered ? Log in
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
From St Affrique to Tournemire (maison de la vigne) (vine house)

From St Affrique to Tournemire (maison de la vigne) (vine house)

This challenging circuit that runs along the ridges of the Saint-Affricain frontal causses and over the course of buissières and undergrowth, leads to the Roquefort shrine of the Combalou rock and to the splendid Tournemire amphitheatre.


From the Painlevé square, take the D993 towards Rodez for 100 m, then pass under the porch to the left and keep walking on the stony path. Take the road on the right and in the sharp curve go straight ahead on the path to carry on by a wider track which goes back to the road.
Take right the stony path which wraps around the Caylus rock. To the North-East of the rock, take the path which rises progressively and overlooks the D993 to the right.
At the crossroads, fork to the right on the track towards the ridges. The slope is steep. Walk along      the cedar grove up to the ridge throughout pasturelands and groves of trees (enjoy the beautiful view over Caylus and St Affrique). Walk through the long bouissière that leads to the village of Tiergues.
Walk across the village and before the exit, turn to the left to reach the graveyard. There, cross the old road and take the street between the sheepfold and the castle, walk around the castle surrounding walls and go through a tunnel under the road. At the tunnel exit, walk up to the left and cross the D3 road, take the path opposite that runs along the D993. Continue along this track.           
Cross the road and carry on to the right for 100 m, then take the path on your left. Walk down to the Laumière castle and continue on the small road up to the D992. Carry on opposite in the artisanal zone to reach a ford. Once you have crossed the stream, fork to the right and walk along the Soulzon  up to the tarred bridge.
In the first curve after the bridge, take the path on the left which runs uphill throughout the Conteyne woodland. Leave a path on the left, walk across the small road and carry on to reach the Roquefort Tourist Office. Walk around the Tourist Office, pass along the stadium and walk uphill on main street.  Nearby a small carpark to your left, take the ascending street to the right beside a big building (ancient hotel). Do not take the covered street but instead turn to the right and just after, walk up to the left on a track running along the cliff (when on the ledge, turn back and take a look at the two Baragnaudes pillars). Go straight on these alleys under the cliffs. At the Caves entrance, under a porch, take the Créance Street, climb the stairs and enjoy the remains of the St Pierre chapel (viewpoint indicator).
At the view point indicator, walk across the grassy land and climb up a steep uphill path. Carry on throughout the undergrowth, then on open ground. Walk along the base of the cliffs of the Combalou with their typical great fracture.
When arriving at the endpoint of the cliff and at the intersection of tracks, take the left path, cross the road and walk your way down to Tournemire (ancient railway city) on the Trumpet path. Below, walk around the water treatment plant, carry on the path along the left bank of the Soulzon. Walk across the Soulzon, then cross the railroad at the level crossing. Take left the rue de la Barrière, then the rue Française. At the car park of the former railway station, go up to the right and walk across Main street. You then reach the house of the Plesiosaur, a marine reptile which was discovered in the black soils of Tournemire.
Keep walking on the road lined up with plane trees. Opposite the ancient convent, turn left towards the Brias amphitheatre via the chemin de la Fous. Before the bridge that goes across the Brias brook, take left the path that leads to the Tournemire Sensitive Natural Space. Arrival at . Arrival at the gite “la maison de la vigne".

19 km
5 h
max. 747 m
min. 322 m
922 m
-699 m

Altimetric profile

Starting point


Lat : 43.9579Lng : 2.88374
n/a
26 d
image du poi
1

Ville de St-Affrique

Pourquoi Saint-Affrique avec deux F ?Au Vème siècle, les Wisigoths Ariens persécutaient les communautés catholiques et interdisaient l’accès aux églises. Africanus, évêque, fut chassé du Comminges.La légende raconte qu’Africanus aurait terminé son exil dans un hameau au bord de la Sorgues et qu’il en aurait profité pour évangéliser les habitants. Il y aurait aussi accompli de nombreux miracles (voir  les vitraux du Chœur de l’église Notre Dame de la Miséricorde).Le nom de cet évêque trouverait son origine dans la langue parlée par les Wisigoths et plus précisément dans la racine Affric ou Effric, signifiant « puissant et affreux ».Le nom de Saint-Affrique fut attesté en 942 dans le cartulaire (recueil des droits et des titres d’un monastère ou d’un évêché) de Vabres l’Abbaye. Une anecdote : Saint-Affrique n’a pas toujours conservé ce nom là. Pendant la Révolution Française on appela la ville Montagne sur Sorgues. En effet, à cette période il était de coutume de modifier les noms à consonance ecclésiastique.

Saint-affrique
Lat : 43.9578Lng : 2.88399
n/a m
image utilisateur
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
/ 26 d / 0 m

Ville de St-Affrique

Pourquoi Saint-Affrique avec deux F ? Au Vème siècle, les Wisigoths...Read more

Lat : 43.9578Lng : 2.88399
n/a m
image utilisateur
image utilisateur
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
/ 2 d / 0 m

Counts of Caylus’ Castle

This rock was used as the bedrock for the building of the Counts of...Read more

Lat : 43.9663Lng : 2.89585
n/a m
image utilisateur
image du poi
2

Le Pont Vieux de Saint-Affrique

Classé monument historique, il est reconnu comme l'un des plus beaux ponts médiévaux de France. Il existait déjà en 1368, il est attesté en 1408 grâce à une crue qui emporta l'arche rive gauche avec le moulin, reconstruite en plein cintre en 1418 (les arches d'origine sont en arcs brisés). Depuis le Pont n'a subi aucun réaménagement. La construction est tout à la fois hardie et légère. Une grand arche encadrée par deux plus petites, des piles minces, un profil en fort dos d'âne (pente de 14%). La grande arche atteint 21,40 m d'ouverture. Les piles, remarquablement minces, n'ont que 3,40 m d'épaisseur et sont terminée par des becs triangulaires effilés qui se poursuivent jusqu'au parapet pour former refuge.Conséquence  du classement du Pont Vieux comme monument historique, seuls les toits en tuiles romanes sont autorisés dans un rayon de 500 mètres autour de lui.

Saint-affrique
Lat : 43.9568Lng : 2.88549
n/a m
image utilisateur
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
/ 26 d / 0 m

Le Pont Vieux de Saint-Affrique

Classé monument historique, il est reconnu comme l'un des plus beaux...Read more

Lat : 43.9568Lng : 2.88549
n/a m
image utilisateur
image du poi
3

Château des comtes de Caylus

Ce rocher servit d'appui à la construction du château des comtes de Caylus au XIème siècle, dont il ne reste aucune trace aujourd'hui.Au pied du Rocher, à l'intérieur de l'enceinte fortifiée, étaient regroupé les maisons des serviteurs du château, formant de l'est à l'ouest une rue traversante.Les habitants de Saint-Affrique s'étant plaints du seigneur de Caylus auprès de Raimond VII, le château fut détruit à la suite d'une rebellion en 1238 du comte de Caylus contre son suzerain Raymond VII, comte de Toulouse, marquis de Provence et de Gothie.Le mur d'enceinte a subsisté jusqu'au début du XIXème siècle : en 1808, le Conseil Municipal de Saint-Affrique le fit abattre pour empierrer la route de Tiergues, alors route impériale 99.Le rocher culmine à 519 mètres.

Saint-affrique
Lat : 43.9663Lng : 2.89585
n/a m
image du poi
4

Château de Laumière

Le château se situe à 3 km au sud est de Saint Rome, il a été reconstruit depuis la révolution. On trouve trace de l'ancien château en 1322, où il était habité par Raymond de Vanco de Banc d'Anglars, puis au XVe siècle où il était propriété de la maison d'Armagnac, il passa ensuite à la maison de Morlhon, au Vernhet de Grandval et au Sambucy de Sorgue. La seigneurie de Laumière fut cédée aux Vernet au XVIIIe siècle qui devinrent Vernhet de Laumière. Un général Vernhet de Laumière s'illustra en commandant l'artillerie de la garde impériale au Second Empire. Il mourut au Mexique au siège de Puebla en 1863. Au XIXe siècle, Maria de Sambucy l'apporta en dot au comte de Toulza.Il est aujourd'hui possible de le louer.

Saint-rome-de-cernon
Lat : 43.9901Lng : 2.95876
n/a m
image utilisateur
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
/ 16 d / 0 m

Sotch de Balhol

The cliff towering over our heads is really impressive with its steepness,...Read more

Lat : 43.9696Lng : 2.99974
n/a m
image utilisateur
image du poi
5

Rocher et chapelle St Pierre

La chapelle Saint-Pierre du XIe siècle coiffe le rocher en éperon du même nom. C'était la chapelle du château qui ne fût jamais église paroissiale. Le château de la même époque était accolé à la face verticale (reste d'une tour). Les structures en bel appareil de moellons indique un petit édifice de qualité. Le choeur  en «cul de four» et surbaissé était limité par un arc en plein cintre précédé par un élargissement en «arc triomphal» vers la courte nef.

Roquefort-sur-soulzon
Lat : 43.9746Lng : 2.99137
n/a m
image utilisateur
from Parc naturel régional des Grands
/ 26 d / 0 m

Laumière castle

The castle is situated 3 km south east of Saint Rome and was rebuilt...Read more

Lat : 43.9901Lng : 2.95876
n/a m
image utilisateur
image du poi
6

Sotch de Balhol

La falaise qui nous surplombe est impressionnante par sa verticalité, par l’aspect lisse de sa roche et la solidité qui s’en dégage. C’est en fait la marque d’une faille (cassure) qui a engendré les énormes éboulis sous nos pieds. Le fond de ce vallon est appelé sotch (dénomination habituelle des dolines sur les causses).

Roquefort-sur-soulzon
Lat : 43.9696Lng : 2.99974
n/a m

6 informations complémentaires

Departure

Car park situated on Foch square in Saint-Affrique

Arrival

Maison de Vigne, Tournemire

Ambiance

The hike that goes from the Caylus rock which towers above Saint-Affrique to the Combalou rock that watches over the caves of the king of cheeses, is a wonderful opportunity to get away through an agro-pastoral land. Scattered along the way with typical Caussenard buildings, the trail ends up with the beautiful cliffs of the Tournemire amphitheatre. This circuit is the first leg of the path that runs throughout the pays du Roquefort.

Access

Via the A75, 46 or 47, then follow the D999 towards Saint-Affrique / Albi. Arrival in Saint-Affrique via the D 999. From Millau drive across the town, cross the river Sorgues, Foch square is next to the bridge. From Albi, head towards the town centre, Foch square is next to the public park.

Advised parking

Place Foch ou place Leclerc

Public transport

To get more details click on: site internet de l'Office de Tourisme and on Occitanie Transports
There is a bus station in St Affrique (lines 202, 2016, 2018) and a railway station in Tournemire (regional line).

Be the first to comment !

By going on your visit, you accept the use of cookies improving your navigation. Click here to know more. You can also refuse personalized ads.