

This monument was erected in 2008 in front of the entrance to the Froidmont quarry, on the heights of the commune of Braye-en-Laonnois, to commemorate the presence of the US 26th Division (known as the ‘Yankee Division’) from February to March 1918.
The division trained for combat there before moving on to the theatres of operations at Château-Thierry, as well as Argonne and Alsace.
The monument also pays tribute to the famous dog Stubby, the division’s mascot and the most decorated animal of the First World War, the only one to have been promoted to sergeant and who was received by the President of the United States in person!
The quarry is not open to the public on a regular basis, but visits can be arranged by contacting the town hall, which houses the headquarters of the Chemin des Dames Association, responsible for its preservation and for the numerous rock carvings left by American soldiers during their stay here in 1918...
Yes