The present belfry at Mons was built between 1661 and 1669 and replaces an earlier tower built within the walls of chateau of the counts of Mons. It is the only baroque belfry in Belgium and stands 87 metres high, its elegant roof having a central onion-shaped dome with a roof-light and four small similar domes at the corners. Despite being a potent symbol of local autonomy, the belfry performed only some of the usual functions of this type of building (watchtower, town clock); the others were fulfilled by the town hall, overlooking the town square. Like other Belgian and French belfries, the Mons belfry is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Building listed by RD (15-01-1936)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
World Heritage listed in December 1999