To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Description
Map
Points of interest
Ratings and reviews
See around

Herpie mine

Herpie mine
Herpie mine
Herpie mine

Description

The path climbs gradually through the mountain pastures, along the mule track (driveable). Remains of mines line the route, including those of the Brandes and Herpie mines.

Technical Information

Walking
Difficulty
Easy
Duration
2h45mn
Dist.
5.2 km
Show more

Altimetric profile

Starting point

38750 Alpe d'Huez
Lat : 45.089159Lng : 6.087278

Points of interest

image du object

Altiport Henri Giraud

Made famous by the mountain pilot Henri Giraud, the altiport offers all the advantages of a landing platform, in the heart of the Grandes Rousses massif. The runway is hard with packed snow during the winter and close to the altisurface.

route de l'altiport 38750 Alpe d'Huez
- Apidae -
Consulter
image du object

Alpe d'Huez Museum of History and Archaeology

The Alpe d'Huez Museum of History and Archaeology is the only structure in a high-altitude resort to have been awarded the Musée de France label. It traces the long history of the village of Huez and its mountain pastures, from the Middle Ages to the present day.The museum presents visitors with two new scenographies through the permanent exhibitions "Le spectacle de la montagne" and "Brandes et la ruée vers l'argent des XIIe et XIIIe siècles". There's also a space dedicated to the Second World War, with the exhibition "Eté 1944. Le Maquis de l'Oisans". 3 EXHIBITIONS: "LE SPECTACLE DE LA MONTAGNE", "BRANDES ET LA RUEE VERS L'ARGENT DES XIIE ET XIIIE SIECLES", "ETE 1944. LE MAQUIS DE L'OISANS". These exhibitions punctuate the Museum's visitor itinerary: "The Mountain Show Presented from December 2022, this permanent exhibition tells the story of the transformation of the "Vieil Alpe" alpine chalets into hotels, forming an internationally-renowned alpine resort from the 1980s-90s onwards. Featuring 4 historical kiosks, richly illustrated with photographs covering the periods 1923-1939, 1945-1973, 1974-1989, 1990-2022, this exhibition with its immersive, explanatory cubes reveals this rich history to the curious, with the role of the ski pioneers, the heyday of the traditional, family-run hotel business in the 1930s to 60s, sporting events such as the Tour de France, new snow-related activities such as snowboarding in the 1980s, summer skiing and ever-increasing events such as Tomorrowland Winter. In addition, the architectural and urban development of the resort is highlighted in the exhibition by a touch table (historical and 3D models of the resort's districts) and an interactive terminal featuring several witnesses to this urban development. The Alpe's built heritage (hotels, ski lifts, public buildings, Rif Nel, individual chalets, etc.) is also presented. Finally, INA films and a children's area will attract the attention of adults and children alike. "Brandes and the silver rush of the 12th and 13th centuries". Looking around Alpe d'Huez today, who would believe that in the Middle Ages, a community of men, women and children settled on the Brandes plateau, at the foot of the Saint-Nicolas rock, to extract silver ore from the mountain at an altitude of over 1800m? And yet, from the 12th to the 14th century, these inhabitants of the mining village of Brandes (the highest in Europe for this period) lived there year-round, despite the difficult climatic conditions from October to April. This technical and human history was revealed by the archaeological digs begun in 1977 by MC Bailly-Maître and her teams of scientists and volunteers. The discoveries made during these excavations (mining techniques, the manufacture of Brandes silver dust, religious practices and daily life, military construction) led to the creation of the Maison du Patrimoine in 1982, which became the Musée d'Huez et de l'Oisans and today the Musée d'histoire et d'archéologie de l'Alpe d'Huez. The museum was awarded the "Musée de France" label in 2002 and moved to the Palais des Sports et des Congrès on the 1st floor in 2012. A new scenography presenting the archaeological collection is visible and contextualizes the artifacts found underground. "Summer 1944. Le Maquis de l'Oisans". Finally, let's not forget the extraordinary saga of the Oisans Maquis during the Second World War. Although the mountains seem to be an unspoilt area, sometimes tragic, often heroic events took place in the Grandes Rousses massif, and in Oisans more generally. Alpe d'Huez was home to a military hospital belonging to the Forces Françaises de l'Intérieur (FFI), notably in the chalet du Signal, an annex of the Grand Hôtel. "Faced with the advance of the German army and its desire to control the Oisans (following the capture of the Vercors in July), Doctor Tissot ordered the evacuation of the wounded patients in August 1944. This marked the beginning of a slow and difficult ascent for the patients, some of whom were in critical condition, and the hospital staff, to the heights of the Alpette and the slopes of the Grandes Rousses. They received help from the crew of a Boeing B-24 Liberator, "11 Americans who fell from the sky": the crash of their bomber in the commune of Prunières, near Gap, prompted them to cross the Oisans. They provided invaluable support for the FFI withdrawal. Protecting the wounded as they climbed to higher ground, the Maquisards engaged in a fierce battle on the Alpette heights against a division of German Alpine fighters; they emerged victorious on August 14, 1944, with no loss of life. Relive this historic event through educational panels and objects from the museum's collection. ANIMATIONS Activities are organized throughout the season at the museum. For further information, call 04 76 11 21 74 or email accueil.musee@mairie-alpedhuez.fr Special Alpe d'Huez goose game: "Catch me if you can! "at the museum, Wednesdays during school vacations, from 10.30am to 11.30am: free, ages 8 and up (places limited). GUIDED TOURS * Guided tour of Pic Blanc (3330m) Visit covering a wide range of topics: 3-star Green Guide panorama, history of the resort and skiing, geology, landscape, wildlife, glaciers... No walking (access by cable car). Every Tuesday and Thursday during the winter season, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. How to get there: meet in front of the DMC outdoor ticket office (top of the resort, 1850m). Rates: please contact SATA (04 76 80 30 30). * Other tours are offered by the Huez Cultural Service, with Museum registration (limited places; €5 or €3): Notre-Dame des Neiges church (Wednesdays, 2:30 to 4pm), archaeological site (Wednesdays and Fridays, 2:30 to 4pm). Registration at the Museum, by telephone (04 76 11 21 74) or e-mail accueil.musee@mairie-alpedhuez.fr; €5 or €3; maximum 25 people. FINE ARTS EXHIBITIONS SALLE ANNE AUVERGNE In the Salle Anne Auvergne (1st floor of the Palais des Sports et des Congrès), take advantage of the volume and luminosity of this exhibition room and its works to discover watercolors, acrylic paintings, sculptures and engravings for the duration of a winter. Free admission

Palais des Sports et des Congrès 70 avenue de Brandes 38750 Alpe d'Huez
- Apidae -
Consulter
image du object

Brandes Archaeological Site

Medieval archaeological site classified as Historic Monuments (since 1993). Village of silver miners, from the 12th to the 14th centuries. Free access with explanatory panels. Guided tours organized by the Cultural Service of the municipality of Huez.The highest medieval village in Europe (11st-14th century) linked to the exploitation of a silver mine. Guided tour twice a week all summer. Meet at the sign, between the golf course and the tennis courts. This 2-hour visit can be completed by a visit to the Huez and Oisans museum, where major pieces from archaeological excavations that have taken place since 1977 are kept. The exceptional archaeological site of Brandes includes the ruins of the old parish church of Saint-Nicolas, the fortification (or “shell keep”), the remains of the old miners' village and the neighborhood of the ore washing workshops (sulfide of silver lead). It was the Lord of the Dauphiné, the Dauphin, who partly owned this mineral exploitation for making his money. The Brandes site was operated from around 1180 to 1339. The community, open to the surrounding regions (evidenced by the coins found on the site from Vienna, Lyon, Provence, Burgundy, etc.) had around 200 individuals, women and children included. The archaeological site has been classified as a "Historic Monument" since 1993. The Groupement d'Etude des Mines Anciennes (GEMA) visits events for the general public and promotes this unique ensemble scientifically. The cultural service also offers guided tours twice a week in summer.

Site de Brandes. RDV devant le panneau du musée situé entre le golf et les terrains de tennis 38750 Alpe d'Huez
- Apidae -
Consulter

Date and time

  • From 01/06/2024 to 31/10/2024
  • From 01/06/2025 to 31/10/2025

Additional information

Environments

Mountain location

Updated by

Oisans Tourisme - 13/05/2024
www.oisans.com
Report a problem

Open period

From 01/06 to 31/10.

Contact

Phone : 04 76 11 44 44

Email : info@alpedhuez.com

Website : www.alpedhuez.com

Topo guides and map references

Topo guides references :
Guide and map OBP n°2 (Oisans au Bout des Pieds), sentier 256

Map references :
TOP 25 IGN 3335 ET - Bourg d'Oisans, Alpe d'Huez

Data author

Image Oisans Tourisme
proposed by Oisans Tourisme
1 bis rue Humbert 38520 Le Bourg d'Oisans France

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Caution!
We have no information on the difficulty of this circuit. You may encounter some surprises along the way. Before you go, please feel free to inquire more and take all necessary precautions. Have a good trip! 🌳🥾