To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Description
Map
Steps
Points of interest
Ratings and reviews
See around

Circuit-Découverte Bernières-sur-mer

Graffitis-Bernieres-C.-Marcello-MG-9933
CHATEAU-DE-QUINTEFEUILLE-BERNIERES-SUR-MER-CREDIT-CLAIRE-SALMERON-TENDRON
eglise-bernieres-sur-mer-credit-nathalie-papouin--3--3
LA-MAISON-DES-CANADIENS-BERNIERES-SUR-MER-CREDIT-BRIGITTE-HAIZE-CHRISTELLE-HUDSON-3

Technical Information

Walking
Difficulty
Very easy
Duration
2h
Dist.
4.7 km
Show more

Altimetric profile

Starting point

BERNIERES-SUR-MER
Lat : 49.33521Lng : -0.41044

Points of interest

image du object

Eglise Notre-Dame-de-la-Nativité

The Notre-Dame Nativity church in Bernières sur Mer was built on land purchased by the Bishop Odo, William the Conqueror's half-brother which he donated to the Bayeux Chapter in 1066. Its Romanesque nave, dating from 1130-1140 and the late 12th century, is contemporary and in keeping with Normandy's finest abbeys. The 13th century brought a high Gothic choir and a stone 8-sided spire the summit of which stands at 67 metres. The 17th century was then to offer a remarkable stone altarpiece with imposing fluted columns, surmounted with large multicoloured statues of angels, one of the most monumental works throughout Calvados.

- Coeur de Nacre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

le Marais du platon

The Platon wetland, which means a small coastal prairie, is situated behind the dunes where the Seulles river bed used to be before it was redirected from Bernières to Courseulles- sur-mer. It is home to a wide variety of plant species and abundant wildlife ( fish, amphibians and insects) including two rares species: one animal, the Natterjack toad, and one aquatic plant, Ruppia maritima, also known as Widegeon grass.

- Coeur de Nacre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

Monument Signal

The first of a series of ten memorials erected along the Channel coast. The work represents the stem of a ship coming from the sea and was made by Yves-Marie Froidevaux, chief architect of the National Historic Monuments. Inaugurated in 1950, it is dedicated to " the heroism of the Allied forces who liberated Europe ".

- Coeur de Nacre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

La Maison des canadiens

There is one house in Bernières sur mer that is simply part of our collective memory, a large villa built at the entrance to the beach. Closely linked to the D-Day Landings, it is its true symbol. Visits by appointment only. This villa, very much in the style of neo-Norman seaside architecture, with its thatched roof and half-timbering, was built in 1928 on the seafront, on the very recent seawall at the entrance to the beach for Léon Enault, director of the Louvre department stores, then the Hôtel Crillon, Place de la Concorde and the Hôtel Terminus, Gare Saint-Lazare in Paris. 6 June, D-Day At 7.15am, the Queen's Own Riffle of Canada landed in front of Bernières, with the mission of reducing the casemate at La Cassine. By 8.05am, its men were on shore. The state of the sea prevented the landing of artillery and heavy equipment, and they suffered very heavy losses. More than a hundred dead and wounded. Nevertheless, they silenced the Cassine casemate, took over L'Étrille and Les Goélands and used grenades to dislodge several German soldiers who had taken refuge in the cellars. These were immediately taken prisoner in the south courtyard, then taken shortly afterwards to the beach where the survivors of the Queen's Own, joined by men from the Chaudière regiment, rounded up the German prisoners. The house was then occupied by British Admiral Cooper, who made it his headquarters until September 1944, with the onerous task of coordinating all supply operations for Allied troops advancing inland. Every day, a noria of flat-bottomed barges arrived from England and unloaded their cargo on the beach at Bernières, leaving at the next tide. Thus L'Etrille et les Goélands, certainly the first house liberated on French soil, went down in history. It features in many of the photos and film footage taken on D-Day by both Canadian and British war correspondents, broadcast in the early hours of the Liberation - it even appears on a Canadian stamp issued on 7 November 1994! Since then, it has become the true symbol of the D-Day Landings for the people of Bern and our Canadian and British friends alike. And every year, the Hoffer family opens the Étrille to them. Many friendships have been forged with veterans and their families, who see this Famous House as Canada's House. Today, the left-hand side of the house is run by the "Maison des Canadiens" association, which offers free guided tours all year round, booking by e-mail. The right-hand side of the house is managed by the Town Hall, which will be hosting exhibitions.

- Coeur de Nacre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

Inukshuk

A stacked stone statue resembling a human figure built by Inuit in the north of Canada. Route marker or land- mark, it also has a spiritual meaning. This one was erected by the town hall in memory of the Native Canadian soldiers who were killed in Bernièressur-mer during the D-Day Landings.

- Coeur de Nacre Tourisme -
Consulter

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Caution!
We have no information on the difficulty of this circuit. You may encounter some surprises along the way. Before you go, please feel free to inquire more and take all necessary precautions. Have a good trip! 🌳🥾