To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Description
Map
Steps
Points of interest
Ratings and reviews
See around

Ardoisières Trail MALANSAC

Ardoisières Trail MALANSAC
Credit : Pays Touristique Vannes-Lanvaux

Description

The area of Malansac extends from Rochefort-en-Terre (town listed as a "Petite Cité de Caractère"), to the Grées, a shale and slate-like strip that towers over the Valley of Arz. The Circuit des Ardoisières offers fantastic views but be careful; due to the presence of old open pit mines, it is recommended that you stay on the marked path.

VTT marks n°5 blue

Technical Information

Mountainbiking
Difficulty
Medium
Duration
2h (1d)
Dist.
20 km
Show more

Altimetric profile

Starting point

4 Place du Marché , 56220 Malansac
Lat : 47.67712Lng : -2.29363

Steps

image du object
1

Departure Place du Champ de Foire parking lot

Go through town. Turn left from the church towards the town hall. Go down Rue de La Prévostais towards Bois Guiho.

7 Place du Marché 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object
2

Bois Guiho

Turn left towards La Haudraie. Do not cross the railway, but continue until the junction. Take the path to La Ville Rio, and then turn left towards La Ville aux Beurroux. Take the path on the right, cross the road, go between the houses and turn left. Go 50m on the D774. Turn right twice toward La Ville aux Golets. Follow the path to the right and then climb into the woods on the right-hand side until you reach the Moulin Neuf pond.

10 Bois Guiho 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object
3

Moulin Neuf Pond

Walk along the pond to the left and climb back into the woods on the left-hand side. Cross Route de Rochefort (D777) and then D774 towards La Magdeleine.

Sous le Bois 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object
4

Rochefort-en-Terre, "Petite Cité de Caractère"

Arrival at the entrance of Rochefort-en-Terre ranked among "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" (The Most Beautiful Cities of France). Climb the steep path to the left towards the Grées. Pass in front of the "Parc de la Préhistoire" (Prehistoric Park). At the D 134, turn right and then immediately left to follow the path on the right-hand side towards the Grées.

59 Saint-Nicolas 56220 Pluherlin
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object
5

Bodelio

Go down to the right and continue right on the road.

Ancien Couvent de Bodélio 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object
6

Porte de Fer Iron Gate

Pass in front of the "Porte de Fer", the entrance of Bodélio Park. At the fountain of La Villa aux Fèves, turn left on the path at the corner of the wall towards Le Guitual (bread oven). Climb left towards Le Rohéran and then turn right towards town.

Porte de Fer 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter

Points of interest

image du object

3-4 Place de l'Église 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

moulin neuf 56220 malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

NOTRE DAME DE LA TRONCHAYE CHURCH

Notre-Dame-de-la-Tronchaye Church is oddly located on a slope in the lower part of the city. Legend has it that during the 9th or 10th century, during the Norman invasions, a priest hid a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary breast-feeding her baby in a hollow tree trunk in order to protect it from the pillaging. Two centuries later, a shepherdess found the statue in the tree trunk and the town decided to build a church there. The story is retold on the stained glass windows. A sculpted cross recalling the Passion of the Christ is found in the square in front of the church, where the former Rochefort cemetery was located up until the 19th century. Upon entering the church, you will be surprised by the pillars that lean due to the landslides towards the south, and then the west. To prevent the church from collapsing, buttresses were built on the southern end, extending the aisles parallel to the nave, and on the western side, lengthening the nave and allowing a tribune to be built. In 1498, Jean IV de Rieux-Rochefort founded a college, thanks to the 100,000 gold coins that he received from Anne of Brittany, for seven canons to pray for the repose of the soul of the lord and his family. In the choir, you can still see their carved stalls. In 1925, Rochefort-en-Terre became dedicated to the Virgin Mary and two new stained glass windows were built in the church: one window in 1926 representing the Holy Family located in the back choir and the second built in 1927 of the shepherdess discovering the statue of the Virgin Mary in the tree trunk.

2 Rue de l'Étang 56220 Rochefort-en-Terre
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

FORTIFICATIONS

During the 12th century, the castle and city were built on this rocky spur, called “Roche Fort” (large rock). From then on, the place and family were both named “Rochefort”. In the 14th century, the Rochefort family no longer had any heirs and, therefore, married into the Rieux family. The site and feudal castle thus belonged to the Rieux Rocheforts. It was under this family’s reign, especially under Jean IV de Rieux Rochefort, that the city began to thrive. Jean IV, like several other Breton lords, was opposed to the annexation of Brittany by the Kingdom of France. Nonetheless, Charles VIII commanded to destroy all Breton castles, including Rochefort, after winning the battle of St-Aubin-du-Cormier. However, Jean IV was the guardian of Anne of Brittany, who married Charles VIII and became the Queen of France. Therefore, Charles VIII granted Rochefort 100,000 gold coins, which allowed him to rebuild his castle, surround it with strong fortifications and bring canons into the church. The castle was then destroyed during the French Revolution. It was not until the 20th century that the American painter, Alfred Klots, bought the ruins and turned the castle’s old outbuildings into luxurious apartments

11 Chemin des Douves 56220 Rochefort-en-Terre
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

Malansac Park of Prehistory

Slate mining began around 1878 and finished around 1911. The largest quarry called "Guenfol" or "Blue Lake" had an above ground surface area of 3,500m2. 18 to 20 million slates were extracted per year by nearly 300 labourers. The site was then transformed and today known as "Park de Préhistoire" (Prehistoric Park).

La CRoix neuve 56220 Malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

Bodelio Park

bodelio 56220 malansac
- Rochefort-en-Terre Tourisme -
Consulter

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Caution!
We have no information on the difficulty of this circuit. You may encounter some surprises along the way. Before you go, please feel free to inquire more and take all necessary precautions. Have a good trip! 🌳🥾