To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Jacquicourt Chapel

Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel
Jacquicourt Chapel

Description

The chapel was built in 1679. Demolished during the same year amid disputes relating to pastureland boundaries, it was rebuilt in 1986, exactly as it was, and becomes a pilrimage venue every September.
The story behind this chapel goes as far back as 1313, when the villages of Les Gets, Taninges and Samoêns decided to define the boundaries of their respective territories. On the fringes of the Loex plateau, there was disagreement over an area of land known as the "Sax de Jacquiert Curt" which was claimed by all 3 villages. That was the start of a legal battle which lasted... 366 years! In 1679 the court ruling placed the village boundaries in the middle of the famous parcel. Thinking the dispute was settled, the village of Les Gets decided to build a chapel on the part that fell within its territory and a mason from Samoëns began the construction work in June 1679. During the night between 14th and 15th August of that same year, the chapel, close to completion, was demolished by disputers who have never been identified. The chapel's remains were discovered in the sixties by National Forestry officers, following which, the mayors of Les Gets, Taninges and Verchaix suggested the chapel be rebuilt. The population rallied around and the current chapel of Jacquicourt was built between 1986 and 1989 on the foundations of the 1679 version, thus bringing a 600-year conflict to its conclusion.

Technical information

Updated at : 26/04/2024
74440 Verchaix
Lat : 46.117156Lng : 6.666286

Altimetric profile

Additional information

Price(s)

Free of charge.

Updated by

Haut-Giffre Tourisme - 25/04/2024
www.haut-giffre.fr
Report a problem

Contact

Phone : 04 50 90 11 24

Email : accueil@mairie-verchaix.fr

Data author

23 Route des Follys 74440 Morillon France

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show