To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Description
Map
Points of interest
Ratings and reviews
See around

Tête du Torraz

Tête du Torraz

Technical informations

This circuit was updated on: 15/04/2024
20 km
6 h 35 mn
max. 1908 m
min. 890 m
1020 m
1020 m

Altimetric profile

Starting point

73590 Flumet
Lat : 45.817843Lng : 6.51391

Points of interest

image du object

Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly - Bureau de Flumet / St Nicolas la Chapelle

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

De Bieu Fortified house

The Maison De Bieu, standing on the edge of the village, is a 15th C fortified house with a distinctive square tower adjacent to the living area. Long-time home to the De Bieu family, it is Flumet’s last maintained and inhabited “château”.The De Bieu fortified house got its name from the family who inhabited it during a long time: the De Bieu or De Bieux (de Biolli, de Biollo - coming from the word "bouleau" which means birch tree). This family was very influential in the town and command of Flumet between the 14th and the 18th century. Situated outside the wall of the medieval town, the De Bieu house has kept its aspect and a part of its old remainings through the ages, including a square tower, a private chapel and armorial bearings carved above the entrance. It is still inhabited but is now private.

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Château des Faucigny

The Château des Faucigny, fortified in the 12th century, is now a ruin. However, the building was once of great architectural and historical value and was part of the original development of Flumet.Flumet’s location, on a rocky spur above the river Arly and where the two mountain passes of Aravis and Les Saisies meet, meant that from the 11th century it was at the southern tip of the Lords of Faucigny’s estates, bordering the House of Savoy's territory. Because of these geo-strategic reasons, the Lords of Faucigny decided to build a château in the vicinity. It’s not possible to give an accurate date for the build, although some historians think it dates back to the 11th century. However, it is known that Aimon II of Faucigny extended the château de Flumet in around 1200. It was built in polygonal form with thick walls and has a square tower in the centre. It was only after the château was built that the fortified town of Flumet was created: the château is therefore the starting point of this village’s history. Principally a place of residence, it was initially home to the Lords of Faucigny on an occasional basis before it became their main residence, demonstrating the influence they had on the territory. It was a defensive building, serving as an advance position in the face of the threat from the neighbouring Savoyards. Once the Faucigny lands fell into the possession of the House of Savoy in 1355, it lost its military importance. From the 15th century, the château slowly fell into ruin, maintained from time to time by the inhabitants of the village. After the village fire of 1679, the local residents were allowed to rebuild their houses with stones from the château, although they were not permitted to touch the tower. As a result of these events and the ravages of time, the château’s general state of repair has worsened considerably over the last few years and is close to disappearing forever.

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Moulin à Tienne et Maison du Meunier

Rue du Château 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Abymes bridge

The Abymes bridge connects Flumet with Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe. Interesting not only for its architecture, the bridge offers stunning views over the river Arly situated 32m below, the T’ienne mill and hanging houses.The Abymes bridge, or Bellecombe bridge, was the first construction work in Val d'Arly and has been built between 1875 and 1878. It contributed to the opening up of the valley, symbolized by the "Gorges de l'Arly" road between Ugine and Sallanches. This bridge represents the entry of the region into modernity.

Chef-lieu 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Suspended houses – panoramic view

Flumet’s suspended houses, with their foundations built into the actual rock, overlook the river Arly 40m below. The only example of its kind in Savoie, this architectural group of buildings is most unusual, with breathtaking, dizzying views.It was in the 13th century that the Lords of Faucigny founded the village of Flumet. In order to attract people to the area, they granted franchises (freedoms and privileges) to the burghers of Flumet, each of them being given an equal-sized parcel of land to build their house on. Having created the village, they built walls around it. On the Arly side of the village, the houses were built on the rocky spur overhanging the river by several tens of metres : it was therefore not necessary to fortify the enclosure at this point, as the geography of the place offered sufficient natural protection. A gate marked the entrance to the village on this side and you can still see the opening today in the Rue du Mont-Blanc. It led to a path that runs down to the river Arly, enabling access to Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe. Since the 13th century, despite the village fire in 1679 and various other tribulations over time, the appearance of the suspended houses has changed very little (see the cadastral plans dated 1730), except for the gradual loss of shingled roofs and the appearance of modern features (satellite dishes, big windows, plain bannisters) which has toned down the traditional charm of this style of architecture. However, the suspended houses have retained their unique style with their tangle of balconies, galleries, homes, stairways, chimneys etc. Indeed, the stone foundations that you can see probably go back to the beginnings of the village. Not forgetting their dizzying aspect which just has to be seen and which can be viewed from different points in the village (Place du Château, Pont des Abymes, Lacets des Avenières).

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Le Châtelet mule stud farm

The only one of its kind in the Rhône-Alpes, Le Châtelet’s mule stud farm continues an ancient Val d’Arly tradition that has been administered since 1894 by the Syndicat d'Elevage Mulassier du Val d'Arly (local mule breeding union).

Route du Châtelet 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Oratory of the Immaculate Conception

This is a solidly built white-rendered building, dating from 1866, with four-sided metal roof which is topped by a wrought-iron cross. A small font is on the right of a recessed alcove protected by a wrought-iron grill: “CMF 1867”.Inside, a golden plaster statue (60-70 cm) of the Virgin with a snake ; on either side of the Virgin is a cherub, and behind her, a golden sun with a dove ; on the altar covered by a white cloth, is a bronze statue of Christ, a small statue of the Virgin, a wooden frame with a faded inscription: “His Holiness Pope Pius IX grants 100 days of indulgences”, 4 superb glass cloches containing a religious vase made of porcelain. Interesting fact : “Resident of Flumet and Mayor of this commune, Marie- François Marin- Cudraz, is in the process of building an oratory in honour of the Immaculate Conception on her property, at the edge of the road, as requested by one of her daughters on her deathbed”. Letter dated 4 June 1866 from curé Mouthon, requesting permission from the bishop to bless the oratory and to ask him to provide indulgences. (source Abbé Duval)

Le Dodécagone Avenue de Savoie 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Ferme du Sciozier (Thérèse Tissot)

You are welcome at the mountain chalet Ferme du Sciozier. Traditional-style setting and breathtaking view. Healthy cooking, barbecue and local specialities.Family -owned farm dominating the valley and facing the Mont-Blanc, Thérèse welcomes you in her sunny nest. At lunch : recommended menus or barbecue on the terrace. At dinner in the charming house: recommended creative menus or barbecue or specialities. All the products are fresh, cooked as grandma used to do. Recommended to book + 33 4 79 31 75 19.

Le Sciozier 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

"Le Gâteau" - Panorama

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

"La Tête du Torraz - Panorama"

- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Refuge - Le Plan de l'Aar

The mountain refuge of " Le Plan de l'Aar " is a hiking destination offering a very wide panorama at the finish. The hut is run by alpagists who serves meals and picnics to take away. The children find there all the animals of the farm.

180 allée du Charvin 74120 Praz-sur-Arly
- Office de Tourisme -
Consulter
image du object

Le Shamrock 73 - Pub & Restauration

218 Rue du Mont Blanc 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter
image du object

Le Val d'Arly

Immeuble le Faucigny 73590 Flumet
- Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly -
Consulter

Date and time

  • From 01/06/2024 to 30/09/2024
  • From 01/06/2025 to 30/09/2025

Additional information

Updated by

Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly - 15/02/2024
www.valdarly-montblanc.com
Report a problem

Open period

De 01/06 a 30/09.

Contact

Phone : 04 79 31 61 08

Email : sentiers@valdarly-montblanc.com

Website : www.valdarly-montblanc.com

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show