In 1798, outbuildings of the Carmes Convent were converted into an auditorium at the initiation of local amateur actors. Maurice Dupin, the father of George Sand, performed there. In 1809, because of disrepair, it was decided that the theatre would bemoved into the convent church, its present location. Its most glorious period was between 1830-1850 when George Sand attended numerous performances, and some of her own plays, such as Claudie, were staged. In 1904, the Comedie-Française came to perform François le Champi for the 100th anniversary of the writer's birth. In c.1935 the hall was first modernised following the development of the cinema and in 1994 it was fully restored to a manificent Italian theatre seating 200. It is named after the son of George Sand, Maurice, theatre producer and puppeteer.