The origin of this market was the public fishmongers and butchers installed outside the city walls in the 16th century. In 1669 the city Council expanded and improved the commercial area with covered stalls that used the wall for support. Between 1813 and 1824 a series of works were carried out to improve the public market. The works included the demolishing of the remaining barbicans in front of the 12th century walls and parallel stalls for the sale of fish, meat, vegetables or wood were built. The stables and the Syndic’s house were added. The market was completed with the bakery stall (today it is a small square) that was opened at the end of the 19th century. In 1972 the vegetable market sheds, along with the supplementary buildings, were torn down to provide a better view of the medieval wall.