To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show

Oups... It would appear that Cirkwi does not have permission to use your location.

Description
Map
Ratings and reviews
See around

Oratory of Our Lady of Bonnefontaine

Oratory of Our Lady of Bonnefontaine

Description

Hut-like oratory with large barrel vault ; recessed alcove framed by a type of grey marble and engraved with, at the top, the date 1850 and protected by a fine wrought-iron grill.
Inside, a wooden statue (1m) of the Virgin with Child (held on left arm) ; at the foot of the statue an inscription: “Our Lady of Bonnefontaine pray for us”
Interesting fact:
In 1759, the historian Besson tells us, there used to be a chapel in the parish of Flumet which was devoted to the Holy Virgin and which was called Bonnefontaine. “Popular tradition has it that a monk walking alongside the stream that flows from the Bonne Fontaine went as far as its source and declared that the Holy Virgin wanted to be honoured at that spot. An oratory was built and was often rebuilt”. It was very famous throughout the region, attracting lots of pilgrims and renowned for the valuable favours obtained. “There were frequent pilgrimages to Notre Dame de Bonne Fontaine and this continues today during good weather, even if there are not so many. There are even some pilgrims who go when there is heavy snow, to ask the Virgin for some urgent grace”.
“The whole parish of Flumet sometimes processes there, especially at the start of springtime. Throughout the area, during long winter evenings, families tell tales about the amazing favours received via the intercession of Our Lady and the beneficial properties of the water from the Bonne Fontaine.”
The chapel was destroyed during the French Revolution and was not rebuilt, but later on (1850), an oratory was built from its ruins. “The existing oratory only dates back to 1850 and the statue which adorns it was solemnly inaugurated on 7 September 1851.” [extract from de “Notre Dame de Savoie” and historical facts of Abbé Grobel 1860]

Technical Information

Lat, Lng
45.8512556.54055
Coordinates copied
Altitude
0 m
Point of Interest updated on 26/04/2024

Altimetric profile

Date and time

  • From 01/05/2024 to 31/10/2024
  • From 01/05/2025 to 31/10/2025

Additional information

Updated by

Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly - 25/04/2024
www.valdarly-montblanc.com
Report a problem

Contact

Phone : 04 79 31 61 08

Email : info@flumet-montblanc.com

Website : www.flumet-montblanc.com

Location complements

(towards Le Gâteau) From Flumet, take the RN212 as far as Praz s/Arly; go to the church, continue on behind the church and turn left, then follow the Tonnaz forest track.

Ratings and reviews

To see around
See more
Open
Close
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Caution!
We have no information on the difficulty of this circuit. You may encounter some surprises along the way. Before you go, please feel free to inquire more and take all necessary precautions. Have a good trip! 🌳🥾