A former collegiate church founded in 966, it became a cathedral in 1803 as a replacement for the former Notre-Dame & Saint-Lambert cathedral destroyed during the Revolution. The current gothic style edifice was rebuilt between the 13th century and the start of the 15th century. Certain additions, such as the tower, date back to the 19th century. The spire of the tower houses a set of 49 bells which for the most part came from Notre-Dame & Saint-Lambert. In the cloisters, the treasures of the cathedral include an exceptional collection of artworks that originate, for the most part, from the former Notre-Dame & Saint-Lambert cathedral.