Explore Château d’If, a famous fortress in the midst of the Marseille harbour and the legendary prison from The Count of Monte Cristo in the novel by Alexandre Dumas!
EXPLORE CHÂTEAU D’IF, A FAMOUS FORTRESS IN THE MIDST OF THE MARSEILLE HARBOUR AND THE LEGENDARY PRISON FROM THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO IN THE NOVEL BY ALEXANDRE DUMAS!
François the 1st ordained the construction in 1529 in order to protect the French coast, to cover the exits and the berthage of the royal galley fleets as well as to look over Marseille. Since 1580 and during nearly 300 years, political opponents were imprisoned in Château d’If: protestants, republicans, etc. French writer and revolutionary Mirabeau is one of the many well-known figures that were held prisoner in the fortress.
Preserved in it’s original environment, the Château d’If was also mentioned in literature: the fortress makes an appearance as the prison of legendary Edmond Dantès, the hero of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. You will also see a permanent exhibit dedicated to this famous novel.
Cliquez sur ce lien pour accéder à la plateforme de réservation : https://cirkwi-us.ceetiz.com/marseilles/e-ticket-chateau-if
Admission to Château d’If
The return crossing (approximately 10,80€ return journey)
All other extras
* Availability: everyday* (except exceptional dates such as certain religious services)
* Opening times: 10am to 5pm/6pm (depending on the period)*
* IN THE EVENT OF BAD WEATHER, THE MONUMENTS MAY BE CLOSED TO VISITORS
* Duration: free visit (45 minutes for the castle, 90 minutes with the visit of the island)
* Last admission 1 hour before closing
* YOU WILL BE ASKED TO INDICATE A PROVISIONAL DATE FOR YOUR VISIT WHEN YOU BOOK, BUT YOUR TICKET IS NOT RESTRICTED TO THIS DATE. YOUR TICKET IS VALID UP TO 1 YEAR FROM THE DATE OF YOUR CHOICE UPON RESERVATION
* A brochure available in French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Czech will be provided at the entrance
* The site is not accessible for people with reduced mobility but is adapted to visitors with mental or visual disabilty
* The following visitors can enter free-of-charge: Visitors under the age of 18 years and residents of the European Union aged 26 years and under, disabled persons and their attendants, unemployed, and Culture Card holders - ICOM Card and Education Pass (valid proof of ID required)
*April 4 to September 30: open every day from 10am to 6pm // From October 10 to March 31: open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 5pm
No cancellations, no refunds
This activity cannot be cancelled, modified or refunded.