
The name of Gestel supposedly comes from the Breton “Guestel” or “Yestel” which means “house of deer”. Modest in size with 625 hectares, in the 14th century, Gestel was part of the nearby parish of Quéven before becoming a part of the parish of Lesbin Pont-Scorff in the 15th century. Since the third quarter of the 17th century at least, it has had its own church and minister who exercised his functions without the title of rector.
In 1790, Gestel was promoted to the status of a commune attached to the canton of Pont-Scorff and on 26th January 1820 became an independent parish. In 1814, the roads converged in a star towards the church and cemetery, surrounded by a few buildings. The village stretches to the north-east with a dozen buildings along the road to Pont-Scorff. There are also about fifteen small hamlets.