This monument symbolises the city’s liberties. The Perron is the stone column that makes up the upper part of the structure. The Duke of Burgundy, Charles the Bold, wanting to punish the people of Liège and display his grip on the principality, had it sent to Bruges. It only returned on the death of Charles the Bold in 1477. After having been knocked over by a violent storm in 1693, the current monument was rebuilt by Jean Del Cour, who added the group of the Three Graces, the name given to the women holding a pine cone adorned with a cross.