
Comprised of four arches and three piers, the Pont Saint-Jean has been strengthened with buttress spurs to resist the currents. It was built from the 16th and 18th centuries and owes its name to the religious order of the Hospitaliers de Saint-Jean, who built a chaplaincy and a chapel here, some ruins of which remain. The bridge was built on the route of the old Roman road from Hennebont to Quimperlé, and is also known as the Pont Romain. It is also called the Vieux Pont (old bridge) in comparison to the Pont Neuf (new bridge), built further upstream in 1851.