
The chapel of Notre-Dame de la Salette was built between 1848 and 1859 at the initiative of its rector in the site of an almost ruined chapel. Built to glorify the apparition of the Virgin Mary to two young shepherds from the village of la Salette in the Alps in 1846, it houses a statue of the Virgin Mary and children but also some 19th and 20th century furniture: statues, paintings, cross, banners, altar, tribune, etc.
Two curious fountains were built at the same time. The first, rectangular, was dug inside the chapel. The second, built on a pillar surmounted by a pyramidal roof, is connected to a washhouse further down in the village.
The first chapel is dedicated to Saint Gildas, who came from Scotland in the 6th century to preach the gospel, and gave his name to the village of Locqueltas which means Gildas’ place in Breton. The building houses some 17th century furniture: a font, but mainly the statues of Saint Gildas and Saint Bieuzy, from the same workshops.