
The Tréfaven powder magazine is the oldest building in the town of Lorient, dating from before the creation of the French East India Company. It is the main building of a 14th century chateau, converted to a fortress in 1482 by Louis II de Rohan-Guémené. In the 18th century, the French East India Company stored gunpowder there. Used as a prison during the revolution, the castle was bought by Napoléon in 1805 and assigned to the imperial Navy. The main building was again used as a gunpowder magazine until 1973. The French Navy left in 2002 but remain its owner.