
From the 17th century, the estuary, being the only navigable part of the river Scorff, offered the French East India Company and the Navy sites and direct river access to shipyards and storage of gunpowder and munitions... The Le Mentec powder store, built in 1878, was reinforced in concrete by the German army from 1940 to 1944. It includes nearly 500 metres of galleries in the cliff and a wooden bridge linking the town of Caudan to the powder store, to safeguard the transport of munitions. The bridge burnt down in 1944 during the bombing, and the site was occupied by the French navy until it finally closed in 2003. Since then, it has been awaiting rehabilitation.