Inaugurated in 1942, during German occupation, the baths and spa of La Sauvenière were built in 1938 in a modernist style. Mainly known for its pools, this vast complex also played host to sports halls and showers as well as a bus station on the ground floor. The building retained this purpose until 2000 and was renovated between 2009 and 2013, becoming the Cité Miroir. Its transformation into an exhibition venue enabled many of the building’s emblematic elements to be preserved, including the 80-metre long grand hall which housed the two main pools.
Inaugurated in 2014, the Cité Miroir plays host to two permanent exhibitions that attract the attention and give food for thought. Whilst the former, Plus jamais ça!, covers deportations by the Nazis, the latter, En Lutte, focuses on workers’ struggles. Major exhibitions, debates and performances are regularly organised at this venue, which aims to be a place of interaction and civic thinking accessible to all.