Located at the southern entrance to the medieval town, Place de la Fontaine recalls the arrival of running water in Montferrand in the 17th century. A place of passage, it was also the stage for the famous “White Mules” cavalcade in 1814.
This square now forms the main entrance to the medieval town. It lies just south of the former Porte de l’Hôpital, which opened onto the road to Languedoc. The adjoining city hall incorporates an interior courtyard framed by galleries over porticoes, a remnant of the former 18th-century hospital.
Until the mid-17th century Montferrand drew its water only from the River Tiretaine and a few wells. In 1650 the Lion Fountain was built here, though it was later moved twice and now stands at the corner of Rue Kléber and Rue Saint-Antoine. The present fountain dates from 1836.
In the early 17th century a decision was taken to replace the winding path between Montferrand and Clermont with a straight route. The line of this “great path” was finally fixed in 1630 by the Decree of Troyes, which united Montferrand with its rival Clermont. First known as the “Avenue Royale”, the Clermont-Ferrand road was renamed “Avenue de la République” during the French Revolution.
This avenue was the scene of a procession that earned the people of Montferrand their nickname “White Mules”. The episode dates back to 1814, when the Duchess of Angoulême—eldest daughter of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, and niece of Louis XVIII—visited Clermont-Ferrand. Arriving from Paris, the royal procession passed through Montferrand on its way to Clermont. At Place des Cordeliers, 80 young men dressed in white unharnessed the horses and drew the carriage themselves, to loud applause. Spectators along the route marvelled at the sight and cried out: “Here come the White Mules!”
Clermont Auvergne Volcans - 28/05/2026
www.clermontauvergnevolcans.com
Report a problem
Free of charge.
All year round daily between 8 am and 6 pm. (including Sundays and public holidays).
Photo 1: November Fair, Place de la Rodade, photograph by Robert Giffoni, 1981 Photo 2: Fontaine des Quatre-Saisons, springtime
Bus T2C, "Musée d'Art Roger-Quilliot" stop, streetcar line A and bus lines 20, 21, 25, 31, 33, C-Vélo station. Montferrand La Fontaine" stop, streetcar A
By streetcar: Montferrand La Fontaine or Musée d'art Roger Quilliot stop, line A