In the old times, the road crossed the Lapacca River on the Arrieux Bridge and climbed up the “rue Basse”. In 1844 was built the “chaussée Maransin” to avoid this steep section.
The Lapacca River, underground since 1883, flows under the square and the boulevard towards the Gave River. Its course allowed to operate some watermills.
The Lapacca square became Jeanne d’Arc square after her beatification in 1909.