The bridge dates back to the town's origins, built from 1225 onwards. It was first built of wood, with supports on the islets of the river Arve to link the two banks.
In 1661, the Regent Marie-Jeanne-Baptiste de Savoie-Nemours commissioned the building of a five-arch stone bridge.
Between 1863 and 1866, it was replaced by the current bridge which was created by engineers, Deglin and Vivenot.
It was named "Pont de l'Europe" to mark the visit to Bonneville of Valérie Giscard d’Estaing in 1989, during the European election campaign. Downstream, it is replicated by a second bridge, built in 2010, with irregular guy wires, the elegant silhouette of which has already become a feature of Bonneville's architectural heritage.
Guided tours are available, so please do ask for details!
Office de Tourisme Faucigny Glières - 12/12/2019
Phone : 04 50 97 38 37