In the Middle Ages, the abbeys of Chéhéry and Montiers-en-Argonne (Marne) and of Lachalade (Meuse) were established in Argonne Forest: the monks’ task was to overpower the devilish forces and Celtic beliefs that haunted the region. To do this, they cleared the land – to excess. Razed in 1657, Chéhéry Abbey was to be rebuilt at the end of the 17th century. The classical, harmonious façade is a fine illustration of the Cistercian order.
Today a substantial edifice of bricks and stone still remains, the former abode of priors and monks. The courtyard is flanked by two pavilions (outbuildings and shed).