Already registered ? Log in
Le hameau de Valsenestre vu depuis le sentier de Combe Oursière
Gite d'étape du Béranger, Valsenestre

Viewpoint over the hamlet of Vasenestre

Credit : Marion Digier - PNE

In the 19th century, the hamlet of Valsenestre had roughly one hundred inhabitants. The main activity was breeding. In 1851, a marble quarry opened in the bottom of the valley on the way up to the Muzelle pass. This was an opportunity for the village. It welcomed the quarry workers and benefitted from an improved road. Marble production stopped in 1905. Up until 1926, children laughing and shouting could still be heard in the village. The school had about thirty pupils. It was closed a few years later and the last permanent inhabitant of the village left in 1948.

Technical information

Lat : 44.9092Lng : 6.05466
0 m
284 d