This building was constructed on the orders of Diogo Gonçalves, a nobleman who is buried in a marble tomb inside the church. Work started in 1660 and continued until 1707, with major repairs required after the 1755 earthquake.
The church consists of a single nave. The high altar and lateral altars contain gilded carvings and a16th century Renaissance statue of the Virgin and Child. The side altars contain a statue of Our Lady of Piety and a crucifixion of Lord Jesus of Miracles, both from the 17th century.