The Malmundarium is a cultural heritage whose earliest beginnings date back to 648 when Benedictine monk Remacle and his religious brothers settled in, what was then, an undeveloped area. The monasteries of Malmedy and Stavelot formed one ecclesiastical principality. They enjoyed over 1100 years of communal life until the advent of the French Revolution, which heralded the end of the principality.
Although, the monastery lost its original religious function at that point, it continued to be used for various ends. It first served the purposes of the French Regime, then the Prussian in 1815 and the German in 1870, each making their own modifications as they saw fit. The current buildings date back to the 18th Century. Various archaeological excavations have brought to light evidence of the whole of the monastery’s history, from its inception in the 7th Century to when it was abandonment in the 18th Century.
In 1985, thanks to financial support from the Walloon Region, the town of Malmedy decided to buy the heritage, with the aim of turning it into a first class cultural and tourist destination and restoring its original purpose, namely to be the historic and tourist heart of Malmedy.
Nowadays, the rechristened monastery goes by the name of Malmundarium, thereby completing its transformation into a major tourist attraction: 3000 m2, two levels and an audio guide, explaining the history (historium, cathedral treasure), folklore (carnival workshop) and ancient industries (paper and leather workshops) of the region.