In the Sonian Wood, there stood a peculiar and frightening oak tree. It was called the “Devil’s oak” and it played an important role in various local legends. A butcher from Brussels tried to put an end to these stories. On his deathbed he demanded for a statue of Jezus to be nailed to a neighbouring oak, thus creating the “Jezus’ oak” in 1636. The number of pilgrims increased over the years so the corresponding chapel was replaced by a Baroque hall church in 1650. The remains of the oak and the chapel can be found underneath the main altar.
At the time the church was built Jezus-Eik was nothing more than a remote hamlet. A residence for the rector of the church was built to stimulate the expansion of the village. The church and attached presbytery are protected heritage.