The astonishing church of St Christopher in Racour, a village on the Hesbaye plateau not far from Landen, is noticeable for its imposing square tower (33m) which had evidently been built for defence. It dates from the 14th century and has three levels. It is possible to climb the spiral staircase in the tower, which still has its observation posts and loop–holes.
In the porch is a giant statue 14th century of Saint Christopher, 2m 95 tall. It is the oldest wooden statue in Europe of Saint Christopher carrying the infant Jesus. It is polychrome and depicts the saint in olympian and majestic pose, as though lost in thought, carrying a smiling child.
Within the church on the right of the rood-screen is a second statue of Saint Christopher. This one is much smaller, dates from the 18th century, and, in contrast with the first one, shows a saint in action as though rowing over the waves with watchful eyes turned towards the child he is carrying. It is interesting to compare the two statues.
The well kept interior of the church is essentially Gothic in Gobertange stone and plaster and gives a pleasing impression. There are also 15th century baptismal fonts, stained-glass windows in the chancel(1956) and some small wooden statues of saints.