Although the origins of the church are little known it is certain that the main altar was consecrated in1347.Throughout the centuries the building has been sacked and burnt several times but fortunately it was restored to its original state during the 1960’s.
The Brabant style Gothic tower stands out with its ringing carillon. This is one of the oldest in Belgium with its 51 bells, of which the oldest dates from 1566. The small houses that used to surround the church have been cleared away. It was through these that the Dukes of Arenberg used to attend services so as not to mix with the common crowd. One can see here and there in the church the place that noble families like the Arenbergs, the princes of Croy and more recently the Empains occupied in Enghien.
There are several noteworthy items in the church, the most important being the superb 16th century altar piece from Antwerp in the chapel of Our Lady of Messina. In a series of detailed carved scenes this altar piece tells the story of Mary from the conception of her child and other episodes such as the visit of the three wise men, the circumcision and the assumption. It is worth taking the time to look at this closely as it tells a story in pictures. There are also numerous stained glass windows, some old and some contemporary by Max Ingrand (1964).There are some 15th century statues, baptismal fonts and a fine pulpit.