Close to the prestigious main square, this important Mons church has a long eventful history which explains its present architecture.
It was consecrated in 1588 in the Gothic style of Hainaut. After a fire in 1714 some Gothic elements remained, notably the columns, but the rest was rebuilt in Baroque style, particularly the choir and the upper part of the nave.
On the façade are surprising stone figures of a knight and a siren.
The interior is remarkably large, 62m long and 29m wide, with 3 naves, separated by 16 gothic pillars, and 5 side altars with Neo-Gothic altar pieces. The works of art include a crucified Christ, the reliquary of Saint George, a statue of Our Lady of Hal, the pulpit and the organs.
The church also has a bell tower dating from 1720 from which there is a fine view over the town.