The church which is at the exit of a passage from the Stock exchange, between the station and the centre of town, is used by many people who find that it is a centre of calm and shelter in a busy area.
The neo classical building, influenced by the Parthenon in Athens, was built in 1830 by the architect, J Kuypers. There are many paintings, sculptures and ceramics.
High in the left nave is a painting depicting Our Lady of Sorrows attributed to Francois-Joseph Navez, the chief assistant of the Parisian painter J L David. Also worth seeing is a painting of Saint Antoine of Padua by Jean Portaels. Two great saints Belgians , Father Damien and brother Mutien-Marie by the ceramist Max van der Linden are also here.