Next to the Meuse which overflows its banks sometimes, wedged at the foot of a rock cliff supported by steel bars and a strong net to avoid new rock falls and dominated by the citadel, the collegiate church of Notre Dame deserves credit for being there in the heart of the town despite a hostile environment and frequent attacks on it during its history.
It is a fine Gothic church with a strange onion domed belfry. At the time of its reconstruction in 1924 there was a lively discussion locally on whether or not to rebuild this belfry, constructed originally in 1566. “Yes” carried the day despite the opinions of purists who regarded the belfry as inappropriate for a Gothic building and the argument that “Dinant without the onion dome would no longer be Dinant” won.
The church portal is worth seeing and on the inside the building, in local limestone, gives an impression of majesty and creates an atmosphere for contemplation thanks to the music that is played continually.
The church also has one of the largest stained glass windows in Europe depicting the story of salvation. Other windows behind the choir recount the history of the town and the church itself.
There are some interesting religious paintings and, unexpectedly, a painting by the well known artist, Antione Wiertz from Dinant, dedicated to his parents, and titled “We will meet in heaven». There are also wooden statues of Saint Lambert and Saint Materne at the end of the church.