The church of Our Lady dates back to the 12th century when it was built in stone from Tournai in the shape of a cross with a single nave and a tower over the nave/transept crossing. In the second half of the 18th century major alterations were made and new furnishings were acquired at the same time. A century later the church was enlarged and the tower over the crossing demolished. The church also suffered in the torments of the First World War. In 1922 the restoration of the stained glass windows became indispensable.
The present church is of brick resting on a sandstone plinth. It is a simple rectangle with a tower above the main doorway. A Calvary chapel and a funeral chapel for the priest J De Clerck were built in about 1900 in the walled graveyard.
The interior of the church radiates 18th century. The shell and rock motifs on the arches fit perfectly with the spirit of the age. The polychrome and marble high altar dates from the second half of the 18th century, as do the fifteen paintings depicting the mysteries of the rosary. The oak pulpit was made by D Latte in 1857 who used pieces coming from the old 1779 pulpit. The same goes for the organs, made in 1925, by J Anneessens who kept a number of organ pipes from the 18th century organ of Van Peteghem.