Nicolas de Tolentino is a 13th century Italian saint. As a result of more than three hundred miracles, which were produced thanks to his intercession, his reputation has continued to grow since his death on the 10th of September 1305.
The idea of building a church was born in 1791 at the creation of a new parish. “De Pinte” gets its name from the café “the Pint” (1658).
After much dithering, the new church was finally consecrated in 1839 and was enlarged in successive phases in 1900 and 1912. Having been machine-gunned in 1918, the church was restored. Further renovations were made later.
Now one sees an imposing Neo-Gothic brick basilica in the shape of a cross with a square tower and a waisted spire. It has a vessel with three naves and six bays, a choir in five sections, the same type of baptistery and a small tower with stairs on the south side.
The building has high lancet windows with multicoloured stained glass (1919) depicting scenes from the Old and New Testaments. The interior is monochrome; the polychrome original having disappeared around 1967. It has several paintings such as that of Nicolas de Tolentino blessing the bread (1840) and three canvases from the Flemish school (1709).
The confessional is surmounted by two cherubim sculptures (1642 and 1654). The baptismal fonts are of Neo-Renaissance style (mid 19th century). The 19th century organs have been reworked and are actually well known and classified.