Bouvignes is located on the Meuse opposite Dinant and one has the feeling that time has stopped here. The town was once known for its copper beaters and was prosperous. Traces of this are still visible today with the remains of the count’s ancient castle and the keep of Crèvecoeur which dominates the village.
Amongst the old blue stone or timbered houses, of which the old Spanish or so called bailiff’s house is one, stands the imposing church with its powerful square tower. The building dates from the 12th century. Over the centuries it has been subjected to a number of destructions, transformations and renovations. After the damage caused by the 1914-1918 war early Gothic style was emphasised.
Inside is a very beautiful altarpiece of the true cross created in 16th century Antwerp, a 15th century Christ Pieta and a pulpit.