This church is a remarkable building that was constructed during different building periods. The oldest part (dates back to the second half of the twelfth century) is a square sandstone tower with four floors in Romanesque style. The walls of the tower are decorated in a remarkable fashion with, among other things, interlaced arches. The oldest clock in this tower dates back to 1669.
The nave and the choir are Gothic and some elements date back to the thirteenth century. In the choir, there is a beautiful round window oriented to the east. All the stained glass windows depict events that revolve around the life of Mary.
During the 80 year war between Spain and the Netherlands the Geuzen burned the church down (around 1580) and substantial repairs were needed afterwards.