The cathedral of Liege was on the place Saint Lambert for close to 10 centuries but it was destroyed during the French revolution. After this, the collegiate Saint Paul was designated as cathedral. The Gothic building was rebuilt around 1240 and finished in 1430.Up to the 19th century, the church was adorned progressively with very beautiful Gothic furnishings made by major Belgian artists and by the contribution of masterpieces by well known local artists.
The interior of the church gives an impression of space and luminosity. The pulpit is of neo-Gothic design and at its foot are six small statues one of which is a chained devil.
There are several works by the famous artist from Liege, Jean Del Cour: a lime wood statue depicting John the Baptist is in the centre and towards the rear of the main aisle. In a chapel at the back on the north side, the masterly technique and great sensitivity of this same artist is evident in the Christ recumbent on a funerary monument in white marble and two bas-reliefs which frame the altar. The bronze crucified Christ in the north collateral is by the same artist. Above the altar is a painting by Erasmus Quellin depicting four teachers of the church before the Blessed Sacrament and on the west wall is a large “Assumption” of the Virgin by Gerard de Lairesse (1687).
A cloister enclosing a pleasant garden adjoins the cathedral. The cathedral treasury holds some exceptional pieces such as the reliquary bust of Saint Lambert (1510) and that of Charles the Bold (1470).