The church was built around 1220 and probably consisted of one nave constructed in stone from Tournai, which is typical of the region.
This church next to the Scheldt is an important example of the late-Romanesque church architecture of West-Vlaanderen (West-Flanders). Certain parts from this original construction still remain, such as the crossing tower (without the top floor), a part of the southern wall of the nave and a part of the southern wall of the rectangular choir.
In the 13th century a northern transept was constructed which expanded the choir extensively. Most likely, the southern transept also dates back to this century.
In 1900 the church was further extended with one bay westward. On the north side, a small baptistry was added and on the south side, a staircase and a sacristy. A relief by the hand of Charles Lateur can be found underneath a small roof.
The pulpit and the communion in Renaissance style date back to 1634. There are also two bluestone altars in a neo-Gothic style. In this 19th century style are also a wooden polychrome sculpture representing ‘Maria being pierced by seven swords‘ and a three-part altarpiece. The Plague Cross and the Assumption altarpiece originally came from the neighbourhood Rugge. The Pietà in a chapel in the transept is a piece by the sculptress Maria De Faykod.
Recently, the tower was restored and the altar area was refurbished. The altar now stands more in the middle, closer to the community. The original cemetery gate cemetery has been replaced by a stained glass window designed by Mieke Verwaetermeulen, a glass artist from De Pinte.