The tower, nave and transepts of the St. Martin’s Church at the end of the Kerkstraat dominate the view of the town centre of Avelgem. The neo-Gothic building was consecrated in 1928.
The earliest references to thid church date back to the 13th century. They refer to a Romanesque church with a square tower. A Gothic church was constructed in the 16th century and later in the 19th century the church was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style. In total, this church was reconstructed four times!
After entering the church one is surprised by the amount of light and the magnificent nave and transepts. Especially the chancel with its altar and high narrow windows draw the attention. Above the choir altar stands a ciborium shaped like a temple resting on pillars. All the art of the interior is in neo-Gothic style.
The lectern shaped like an eagle and the baptismal font are both in brass and they date back to the 15th century. They were both made in workshops in Tournai. During the First World War, the church community buried these brass objects under the church floor.
Under the crossing stands the new altar. It is composed of two sawhorses and a tablet. The altar area is completed with a lectern, chairs and benches in maple wood. The brass Resurrection cross is by the hand of Jean-Pierre Belaen and on the right column hangs a wonderful painting by Thomas Lange. It depicts a pietà with a man on one side and a woman on the other side. The Stations of the Cross were painted specifically for this church by the artist Pat De Vylder. Furthermore, three beautiful icons by the hand of iconographer Noëlla Adams can also be found in this church.