In 1917, the occupation troops decided to establish military cemeteries to bring together the bodies of thousands of German and French soldiers who died in the fighting around Rossignol on 22nd August 1914. After the Armistice, the Plateau cemetery became French. The bodies of 887 soldiers were buried there originally, but many families then wanted to bring the remains of their dead relatives home to France. The German graves were transferred to Virton. Quite small in size, the necropolis extends through trees and the crosses form a concentric structure that encourages meditation.