Romanesque in origin – no doubt from the end of the 11th century – the church of Saint-Léger in the hamlet of Wannebecq, consists of a single nave of four bays and a narrower chancel with flat chevet. Both are built in irregular local stone blocks almost totally strengthened in the corners by rough-hewn limestone blocks. A tower with an octagonal spire and frame structure dating from the 15th century occupies the western part of the building. This tower is reinforced by buttresses with an entrance on both sides from the 16th century remodelled in the 20th century, as well as by roof pitches of which the one in the south houses a stair turret. A chapel dedicated to St Léger was added to the south side of the nave, probably in the second half of the 16th century. Built from brick and limestone, it stands out from the rest of the building with its Hennuyer Gothic style. The building also underwent a fundamental restoration programme conducted in 1922 by the architect A. Dufour, who wanted to put back the primitive characteristic of this place of worship, which is still surrounded by its walled cemetery.
Building listed on 25-11-1971