The Gaiffier d’Hestroy townhouse is currently the Namur Museum of Ancient Art. Built in the middle of the 18th century, this elegant, patrician dwelling, influenced by the French style, is situated between a courtyard and a garden. At the front is an internal courtyard delineated on the street side by a fenced wall in the Regency style added in 1768 by F.-J. Beaulieu. The house was donated to the Province of Namur in 1950 and, in accordance with the final wishes of the person making the donation, Madame de Gaiffier d’Hestroy, was converted into a museum in 1964.
The fenced wall, consisting of a limestone base, is characterised by its vertical symmetry. It has Ionic pilasters and timbers between exceptional panels decorated with stuccoes, two of which feature Roman-style busts. The wall is topped by a balustrade decorated with baskets and vases of more recent vintage.
The townhouse itself, built in brick and bluestone, rises to two levels. These have horizontal courses and windows with straight lintels. The rear façade, of curious proportions, faces a garden laid out in the French style. The interior courtyard also has a coach entrance and garaging, as well as caretaker's quarters.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia (stuccoes)