Already registered ? Log in
The church of Saint-Martin

The church of Saint-Martin


 

The church of Saint-Martin de Tohogne is an 11th-century Romanesque structure built in limestone blocks. Altered in the 16th and 17th centuries, the church was restored during the second half of the 20th century by the architect E. Meurisse.

The building, which is dedicated to St Martin, is formed by a massive tower allowing access to a nave flanked by two side aisles and ending in a chancel with three walls. The west tower was rebuilt in the 17th century. It has an entrance doorway to the south dating from the 13th century and is topped by a slate spire.

The five-bay nave opens on to two side aisles through Roman arches. Each side aisle ends in an apse with semi-domed vaulted ceiling. Note the presence of the remains of two Romanesque doors (in the second and between the third and fourth bays). During the restoration works conducted in 1976-1977, the internal walls of the nave and apses revealed exceptional wall paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries.

Listed: 10-03-1948

Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia (wall paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries)

 

Durbuy
Lat : 50.3786Lng : 5.49002
0 m
1 year

Be the first to comment !

En poursuivant votre visite, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies permettant d'améliorer votre navigation. Pour en savoir plus, cliquez iciJ'ai compris