The old church of Saint-Maximin d’Anthisnes is a building that has retained pre-Romanesque remnants from the 10th century and Romanesque remains from the 11th and 12th centuries, as well as traces of work subsequent to the 13th, 16th and 18th centuries. The building, which was abandoned in the 1890s, has been restored and its exceptional wall paintings preserved.
The west tower rises to four level and is topped by a short spire. The nave, built in the second half of the 16th century, is flanked by a single side aisle and has five bays. The central nave features five Roman arches arcades on Gothic columns with prismatic capitals and bases. It was formerly covered by a flat ceiling. The nave is accessed by a classical doorway located in the south-west corner, with the keystone dated 1715.
The chancel with flat chevet is adjoined by a sacristy and a seigniorial chapel (?). Note the Romanesque gable partially concealed by the sacristy, built in 1712. The interior is adorned by wall paintings dating from the second half of the 16th century. The represent saints Crépin, the Virgin with child, Gandulph, Crépinien, Véronique, etc. The floor is made up partly of brick courses laid on edge.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia (wall paintings)