The castle-farm of Haltinne was built in the fief of "the ditches", owned by Gérard de Groesbeeck since 1635. The property then passed into the hands of Gérard de Mérode, was burnt down in 1674 and refurbished by Jean-Hubert de Tignée in 1684, then sold to Goer de Herve who owned the château until 1814.
The castle is rectangular in shape. The four wings on two levels are flanked by square corner towers rising to three levels. Access is through a tower gate located in the centre of the east wing. Note the traces of the drawbridge that once rose before the door (rabbet of the bridge apron, running channels that have been filled in). The south-east corner, with its greater roof height, was occupied by the seigniorial living quarters. The other wings housed the farm buildings required at every fortified farm.
During the 17th century, two fires damaged the castle and when it was being rebuilt, a new building in brick and stone was added that was finally enlarged in the middle of the 19th century. This addition demonstrates the redevelopment of the castle, basically dedicated farming pursuits, into a leisure dwelling. At this time the interior had outstanding decoration (medallions, trophies, stucco, red marble, internal joinery, etc.). The centrepiece of this decorative renewal was, the staircase in the style of Louis XIII, which is exceptionally distinctive in Wallonia for its use of bluestone, including bulbous balusters.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia