Judiciously located outside the centre of Spa, where the main roads meet leading to the fountains that established the fame of the town and its hot springs, the Waux-Hall is reputed to be one of the oldest gaming rooms in Europe. The work of Liège architect Jacques-Barthélemy Renoz, stucco artist Antoine-Pierre Franck and the painter Henri Deprez, this huge building with its harmonious proportions was constructed in three phases during the final third of the 18th century: first the front section and side wings, then the rear and, finally, the return wing, which itself was rebuilt in the second half of the 20th century. The simplicity of the exterior architecture in brick and bluestone contrasts with the sumptuous interior décor – stuccoes on the walls, painted ceilings, marble fireplaces, mirrors, etc. – scattered through the five rooms on the first floor, which include a ballroom. Over the course of time, the "gaming and assembly room" has seen a variety of different uses: military hospital, Protestant temple, school, orphanage, municipal museum and headquarters for local associations. The restoration of the outer envelope, which was the first phase of an overall refurbishment programme, was completed in 2009, thereby preserving the rich interior decoration. The building has now regained its proud appearance, with its pale pink distemper, wrought iron railings and grills enhanced with gilding, and its large restored, period windows adorned with glass panes blown by craftsmen.
Building listed: 24th July 1936
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia