Already registered ? Log in
The collegiate church of Saint-Denis

The collegiate church of Saint-Denis


 

The foundations of the old collegiate church of Saint-Denis date back to the end of the 10th century. Built in several phases in coal formation sandstone, the building is distinctive for its high Romanesque tower in the centre of two stair turrets. This front section, built at the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries, provides access to a central nave flanked by two double side aisles, a transept and chancel ending in an apse. Oddly, the height of the chancel is greater than that of the nave, in some way counterbalancing the front section of the church. The 18th century saw the addition of a cloister against the southern side aisles.

An exceptional organ case enhances the church's rich furnishings through its presence on the organ platform. Typical of the production northern Brabant, the case dates from the end of the 16th century. During the second half of the 19th century, the organ-maker Joseph Merklin replaced the original instrument with a new organ, although he retained the façade of pipes, which by then were silent. The front of the organ is made up of a central turret flanked by side turrets and richly decorated face plates. The Great Organ is supplemented by a Positive recessed into the balustrade of the organ platform. This latter organ is made up of a central turret, angular side elements and face plates whose decoration reflects the Great Organ.

Listed: 24-07-1936

Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia (organ and case, excluding the mechanism)

 

Liège
Lat : 50.6428Lng : 5.57524
0 m
1 year

Be the first to comment !

En poursuivant votre visite, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies permettant d'améliorer votre navigation. Pour en savoir plus, cliquez ici