A fervent feminist, Léonie de Waha opened an institute in 1868 enabling young girls to access secondary education, reserved at the time to boys only. Over time, the constant increase in the number of pupils and the conversion of the establishment into a high school made the construction of a new building inevitable.
Inaugurated in 1938, the school reflects the modernist leanings of the time in terms of architecture and planning, applied to an overall project designed by the architect Jean Moutschen and adorned by numerous works of art signed by leading Liège artists (bas-reliefs, paintings, stained glass windows, mosaics, scattered throughout the building). The façade, which has practically no openings is distinctive for its rigorous lines in white and blue stone. Three wide bas-reliefs and monumental clock decorate the 30-metre elevation, which also has the identical width. Here, as in the rest of the building, functionality, symmetry and the search for high quality in use take pride of place: reception hall, soundproofed swimming pool and gymnasium, arrangement of the rooms to obtain maximum benefit from the sun, etc., all embellishing the surroundings with decorative items of great value, centred on young ladies and education, the world of work and the glorification of Wallonia.
Listed with protection zone: 17-05-1999
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia